Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Invisible Tattoos

The title of my blog is Invisible Tattoos, and I guess I should explain why. 

I have a lot of scars. Some are physical but most are emotional. Either way, they're all part of my story. 

At the beginning of my story, I had only tattoos. Ok, no, they aren't literal tattoos. "Tattoos" are what I consider to be wonderful memories and milestones about my journey in Christ. Tattoos are voluntary. They're picked out carefully and are usually made in memory of something remarkable... a loved one, a special date, a piece of scripture..... They never come off and we know that: that's one of the reasons we get them! 

I received my first tattoo in June of 2009 when I accepted Christ for the first time. 
I received my second when God gave me a glimpse of my calling in 2010. 
I received my third in 2011 when I preached in front of 200 people for the first time. 

All of these moments were so special to me and I always considered them to be part of my "peak" as a Christian. 

I considered myself an awesome Christian for a long time and was always happy with whatever God threw at me. The only thing was that everything God was throwing at me was positive. 

My sophomore year, things became negative. I went through my first heartbreak, for one. But I was also bullied. The two things together took such a toll on me that I spiraled and lost grip on everything I had held onto so tightly before: including my passion for God. 

Now there is a lot to this story that I'm not going to post on my blog, but the most important thing was that I got better.

January through June of 2012 were the hardest months of my life and I would never choose to go back and relive those days, but I am so happy they happened.

Those days were scars in my mind. Everything bad that could've happened did and I reached rock bottom. I considered myself a bad Christian back then. But looking back, those moments aren't scars to me anymore. They are tattoos. Those hard times molded me into the person I am today and, to me, make the most beautiful tattoos. 

That's how I got the name Invisible Tattoos. I hope to use this blog as a way to share with you what God has proven and taught me. Part of my calling is ministry, and I hope my words minister to you all. 
Sitting in the spot where I accepted Christ for the first time and received my calling...my 1st and 2nd tattoos

1 comment:

  1. Love this! You are a great writer, Kathryn, and it's awesome that you are letting Christ's light shine through you to others--keep on shining for Him! I know you make Him proud!

    ReplyDelete