Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Do It The Right Way

It always confuses me when people dislike others just because they're bold in their faith. I understand that people get annoyed when others throw every fact they know about the Gospel and how important it is to be saved in their faces. But does that really mean every Christian is like that? Definitely not.

Here's the thing though: Christians are supposed to be bold.

You have 2 jobs as a disciple:
- To worship and glorify God
- To bring others closer to Him

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. --Matthew 5:14

A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Jesus is making it so clear that as a Christian, you will stand out. You are different from everyone else.

One time a friend flat-out said to me, "I don't like Christian. I just don't do the whole Christian thing. Christians are so annoying."

Ok, I'm hardly ever speechless, but when I heard those words come out of her mouth, I honestly had no idea what to say.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how many people are turned off by Christians. It bothers me to no end, but then again, you have to view it from both sides. We view them as ignorant and judgmental people, but they see us as just plain judgmental.

Do you consider yourself a bold Christian? If so, admit it: you've judged someone for doing things wrong or having a little too much fun at a party. I'll be first to admit that I do all the time.

Who are we to judge? What effect does our judgement have on that person? Only God is righteous enough to judge them and how they live their lives. Only God's judgement matters, ours does not. We fail every day, we are all sinners. Just because we proclaim our love for Jesus does not, by any means, give us a license to judge.

Think of the impression that gives my friend on Christianity. It seems pretty unwelcoming and scary if someone judges everything you do, right?

It is our job to show them what God's love is truly about, but we must go about it in appropriate ways. I truly believe with all of my heart that each person comes to Christ differently and we must find that door and lead them through it.

If you want to be a bold Christian, do it with intentions of love and humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment